The tips below will help walk you through maintaining your apartment or house rental as defined in your lease & house rules for what repairs and/or maintenance are tenant responsibilities. If you are unsuccessful in remedying your service issue after trying these tips, please log in to your account and submit a new service issue. If you need to report a maintenance issue, contact our office at 248-627-4239 ext 252. For after-hours true maintenance emergencies call the office number and press 5 to be transferred to the on-call maintenance staff.
Toilet and/or Plumbing Issues
- If toilet is leaking turn off water at base.
- If toilet is clogged- plunge it first before contacting your landlord. This is a tenant responsibility, if your landlord must come out and clear clog you will be charged a minimum of $35.00.
- Hold down handle longer or flush second time to ensure proper vacating of toilet.
- If toilet will not flush- open back lid on toilet and be sure flapper chain is still connected to flush arm.
Low Water Pressure or No Hot Water
- Check pressure of other faucets- if it is only happening in one faucet- unscrew the aerator at the faucet spout and clean out any small debris.
- Check thermostat setting.
- Gas water heaters- be sure pilot light is lit (instructions can be found on the water heater).
- Electric water heaters- be sure main breaker panel to make sure the 220V furnace breaker is not tripped.
- Isolate when and where leak is coming from before calling maintenance.
- If occurs when toilet is flushed- turn off the water going to the toilet and call the office.
- If occurs when a bath is taken- use shower until maintenance can fix the leak.
Furnace & Air Conditioning Issues
- Be sure the thermostat is set on AUTO and not fan.
- If there is no air coming out of vents, check condition of air filter & replace if needed. (Be sure to note the size from your current filter).
- If you have a light switch in your furnace closet, put it to the “on” position.
- If unit is frozen outside turn the thermostat to “off” so unit defrosts. Wait 4 hours and turn it back on. Common problem in extreme heat.
- Do not set the thermostat below 70 degrees. That is what causes it to freeze.
- If door is removed to access filter, it must be secured properly in order for unit to turn back on.
- Safety feature will not allow gas to get a pilot light unless its vent cover is securely attached. This may be indicated with a flashing light.
- Check condensation line/tube when water is around furnace area. You may have to unplug drain hole.
- Check breaker box to ensure breaker has not tripped.
- Move in boxes attract bugs, especially in storage areas. Secure belongings in sealed containers, such as Rubbermaid boxes.
- Roaches: Use bombs and wait 2 weeks for treatment to take effect.
- Ants: We suggest using Terro, which can be purchased at your local hardware store. Follow directions on can.
- Mice: Use traps
- If dishwasher will not fill up with water and you have just moved in pour approximately ½ gallon of water in the basin inside the dishwasher and start it again.
- If debris appears on dishes after wash cycle, clean filter at bottom.
Electrical Outlets are Not Working
- Reset GFI by pushing button in middle of outlet (usually a red button)
- GFI units are usually in kitchen, bathroom & garage.
- Check breaker box to be sure switch has not been tripped.
- CLOGGED DRAINS- Pour ½ cup of vinegar + 1 teaspoon of baking soda down the drain.
- WASH WALLS- Use Industrial 409, which can be found at stores such as: Lowes.